Sunday, September 20, 2015

2015 Work - Mixed Media © Copyright Cal Navin "2015"

"Past, Present and Future" 
Mixed Media 
65" X  10" X 8" 
I found these burnt timbers in a home that had been torched on the east side, and thought I should incorporate found objects into my work.
This piece is about climate change and the effects of global warming on temperature, precipitation levels, and soil moisture that are turning many of our forests into kindling during wildfire season.
The frequency of large wildfires have been steadily increasing in the western United States, with global warming being a major contributing factor.
 



"Untitled"
39.5" x 18.5" x 10"
Mixed Media
Found another humidor at the Eastern market and decided to see what I could come up with. This is the third antique humidor I've used for an armature, I didn't have anymore dragons to add to the back, just had to make two shelves for the sides. This one has a door, lined on the inside with copper.
Like the two others, I've added the recorders on the front. More fun than anything else to make. 
 I'm in the process of finishing one more sculpture using toys and burnt planks I've scavenged from burned out houses in Detroit. After I plan to start painting again, put the toys away for a bit and get back to my oils. I've missed painting, plus my mind is racing with paintings I've yet to start.  
"Weight of the World"
12" X 12"
Mixed Media

I've made this piece once before, and remade it because someone bought it straight away before I had an opportunity to show it. I'm trying to show my work these days.
The first time I made the piece I hadn't polished the sides of the plexiglass which always bothered me, now I could take my time polish the sides and start over.
The idea behind the piece remains the same. It's about the children of today and the many pressures imposed onto them.
"Mother's Run" 
5' 5" x 24" x 24"
Mixed Media 
This piece I made using an old wire frame dress form I had bought at the Sunday Farmers market. It's been three different sculptures, this being the final one. A pregnant female figure sits in the center waist high, hidden from the front view.
  
  
  

"Howdy Doody, Ya Dirty Rat" Liberty # 7
Liberty # 7
24" X 24" X 5"
Mixed Media 
Continuation of the liberty series seven of eight.

" FAMILY"  Liberty # 6 
"Family"
Liberty # 6 
24" X 24" X 5"
Mixed Media 
Continuation of the liberty series six of eight. 

"Military Issue" I Want YOU for the U.S. Army! 
"Military Issue"
15' x 15" x 3"
Mixed Media
A continuation from the "Deployment" piece, using a silk screen I had done in school. I'm also using the screen from the original piece as a frame for the soldiers. The silk screened skull is on a piece of vellum I had used to test the colors.
The idea of this piece is, uncle Sam is Death calling you to war. Uncle Sam wants you, of course he does, but good chance you'll come home in a box, or a wounded soldier. 
"Clean Slate Mama Bear"
23" x 12" x 3"
Mixed Media
This next piece I made for my cousin, it's about a life that was. A marriage, a divorce, two children, being a strong independent woman. Starting over with a clean slate.


"Deployment"
18" x 24"
Mixed Media
(roughly 1400 1" army men)
The skull image is a silk screen I had done in school, which I recently discovered, it inspired to make this piece. The piece is about the human cost of war. Not only for our sons and daughters that don't return home after their deployment, but also, the uncounted family members left emotionally destroyed from they're loss. The human costs of war have been enormous. Endless, suffering for many military families and friends. And for what gain? What is wars true toll?
"B#"
11.5" x 13" x 2"
Mixed Media
The piece is called "B# " (be natural) I used to have a T shirt that had the musical sign B# on it, which I wore proudly. The piece is about being different and being willing to stand out. Most people would rather fit in than stand out. The truth is that we are all very different. There will never be anyone else who is exactly like you. Each and everyone of us are truly one of a kind, this is the miracle of being human. Just by virtue of being alive, taking in breath, each one of us are unique and special. Why then do so many people spend their entire lives denying and hiding their unique differences, and trying to be like ‘everyone else.’ As hard as it is, take a leap of faith. Choose to break free, and dare to be different, B#.
 
Micro Housing Continues - Population Growth # 2 of 3 & 3 of  3
Micro Housing # 2 of 3
6" x 3" x 4"
Mixed Media
Micro Housing # 3 of 3
4" x 3" x 3"
Mixed Media

   © Copyright Cal Navin "2015"





 

2 comments:

  1. Cal,
    Your visions and gifts are infinite! Thank you so much for introducing me to your online collection!
    Take care,
    DeAnna Weeden

    ReplyDelete
  2. DeAnna,
    Thanks for the kind words. I sent you an email today. Did you see the super moon? Make your intentions known when you take a look at it, you must believe them in your heart, don't just say the words. Talk soon

    ReplyDelete